#TBT Gretchen

Today's #TBT is a joint post with tomorrow's FO Friday, because we're going to be discussing tension.

Ah, tension. If only we all had the same tension, things would be so much easier.  We could all follow the recommended hook or needle size, and dive right in instead of making those dang gauge swatches.  I hate swatching; I never do it.  But I'm going to start needing to, because I'm going to start making project that require it it, like sweaters, and want to try more advanced techniques like stranding, and don't want all my hats to end up like Gretchen:





Poor Gretchen.  Why's it all pointy at the top? We'll never know.  Why's it huge and come down to my eyebrows?  Once again, we'll never know. No, we'll know. It's the tension! I didn't swatch, and it came out too big.  I probably should have gone down to US 6s for the ribbing, and used US 7s for the colorwork part, but I used US 8s and stuck for them the whole time, instead of using 7s for the ribbing like the pattern said.

Also, a funny story about Gretchen: I was in a daily group therapy program, and was working on it there, and everyone was so excited to see me knit and to see the hat progress, and then I show up with that thing when it was finished, that looks like a pointy beanie rather than a tam and had to model it for everyone.  I felt so silly because I didn't like the way the hat looked, but everyone was very kind and ooed and aahed at the appropriate times.

But I'm not that unhappy with it, even if I won't wear it.  I made this last year, and it was my first time knitting and really enjoying it in a very long time.  It was also my first colorwork project; we all have those funny looking 'firsts' that don't see the light very often.  (Still looking at you over-stuffed amigurumi bunny.)  The pattern wasn't very hard, I'll definitely do it again, perhaps in a blockable yarn (are hats easy to block?) and make sure I swatch this time!

Gretchen's Easy Tam by Lion Brand Yarn
Yarn: Lion Brand Vanna's Choice in Wheat; Loops & Threads Impeccable Ombre in Folklore
Needles: US 8 (5.00 mm)
Started: July 18, 2015
Finished: July 22, 2015

Comments

  1. It's not that bad! Maybe, you could add a pompon to the top to hide the point and, if you added some flaps with long, braided tassels on the side, it would look like you planned it that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh, thank you :) and that's actually a great idea! I really like the pom pom idea! Now I just have to find it ;)

      Delete
    2. I'll be waiting to see it... :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along :: The Underground Railroad

Yarn Along :: Trout Fishing in America

Yarn Along :: The Exorcist