Frogs

You ever have a project that gives you grief, and makes you depressed to think about? One that you dread working on, and want nothing more than to have that project finished completely and you can move on to other things, but it's a gift or for sale/commission and you have to finish it? That's what's happening to me now.

Last year I decided I'd make simple big granny square blankets for my parents and one of my best friends for Christmas. At the time I was just getting back into crocheting and big grannies were perfect. However, I never finished because I apparently work terribly under pressure (big change from college!), and big grannies are boring. So they were set aside, and gifted half finished to my dad and friend. I finished my mom's. (You may remember me talking about the one for my dad here; I finished it, then found more yarn.)

Every month of this year my plan has to been to finish them but I've only worked on them sparingly, and avoided them on the whole. I've even finished 9 projects since, but my friend and dad are still wondering where their blankets are.

So since they were giving me so much trouble (and here it is five months later...) I decided to take them out and see what I had to work with.  They're about lapghan size and I have 3 100g balls left on each. Even thinking about working on them in their current state fills me with dread (and I don't even know why, I guess I'm just bored?) so I was going to just finish them short and gift them as lapghans. But that didn't sit too well, and I didn't want to force myself to work on something that wouldn't make me happy.

So I set them aside again, for a few days, and then it dawned on me. I'm almost finished the little blanket I talked about last post, and I enjoyed doing the hexagons. (In fact I was considering buying more yarn, which would make the little one the same size as these two, a total of 8 100 g balls, but I can't really afford it, so it's going to stay little.) In fact, I could do more hexagons than was required for the project, and I enjoyed making the hexagons. I like the yarn, the pattern, the shapes, the drape - everything about that project, and then it dawned on me: I should frog and redo.

And that decision makes me happy, even if I have to frog my work. I'm excited to make fat, happy stacks of granny squares, or hexagons, or whichever shape I choose. Even doing a lot of little grannies makes me more happy than one big granny. And in the end, all I want is to be happy.

💗 Hippo

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Along :: The Underground Railroad

Yarn Along :: Trout Fishing in America

Yarn Along :: The Exorcist